Bem-vindo to the heart of this region, located in the South of Portugal, which is one of the best known of the Iberian Peninsula. Over time, thanks to its unique landscapes and almost permanent sunshine, the Algarve has become a renowned tourist region in Europe. Although its sublime beaches are very busy in high season, the Algarve offers visitors a more secret, more wild side, with exceptional natural landscapes that will allow them to escape the hordes of tourists that flood the region. Do not know what to do during your stay in this incredible destination?
Villanovo have found for you everything you should not miss in the area. Make sure you see everything this place has to offer, and enjoy your stay in Portugal. We will be happy to help you organise the most exciting activities!
- The Castle of Silves, in particular, is the pride of the city that gives it its name. Its impressive architecture in the landscape of this Portuguese city testifies to the presence of Muslim people in the region in the past. At the top of the largest castle in the Algarve, you can admire breathtaking views of the city of Silves. Built by the Moors, this red fortress conquers history lovers. Stroll through its red sandstone walls to take a real journey back in time and learn about the history of the city.
- The church of St-Laurenco is formed by many tiles (covering the faience traditionally used in Portugal and Spain) and built in the eighteenth century, this church is a festival of colours. It is completely white and contains a secret in its baroque lines: it is a tribute to the St. Lawrenco! In fact, the blue lines that line the walls reveal the martyrdom of St. Vincent. This building has the typical charm of Portugal, making it an essential part of the region. Open from 10:00 to 13:00 and from 14:30 to 18:00 during the summer. The ticket price is €2.
A stay in the Algarve region would not be complete without visiting at least one of the beaches of this sunny region of the Iberian Peninsula surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean. The Algarve offers a wide variety of beaches so everyone can put their towel in the sand that suits them best. Among the most beautiful beaches in the area, Odeceixe beach, very close to the ocean, ideal for surfing, is near the river, calmer for families looking for a day off.
To enjoy breathtaking views, head to Faro, the beach of Quinta Do Lago, a true paradise with 3 kilometres of white sand that will offer you the tranquillity you are looking for. It is home to one of the longest wooden bridges in Europe, a perfect opportunity to stroll along this incredible beach. The tranquillity of this place will offer you the luxury of reading in the sun on a beautiful summer afternoon. Feel free to visit the bars and restaurants that offer exquisite cocktails and excellent seafood dishes. For tranquillity and privacy, you can lie in the middle of the remote dunes.
Other sublime beaches, like Quarteira, will give you unique moments. Unlike rough beaches, it enjoys calm waters, ideal for swimming. Wear your fins and snorkel to discover the seabed. Between one swim and the other, you can walk under the palm trees. It is a great place for families because of the many children's activities it offers. But do not be jealous, adults can also practice water sports or relax with a massage in one of the nearby centres.
- Lagos: Although Lagos is one of the most touristic cities of the Algarve, it is nonetheless picturesque. This authentic little corner offers many places to visit! You get lost in the alleys of the historic centre and admire the charm of the Municipal Market, the central square of the city. Do not forget to visit the port, which illustrates the close relationship between this charming city and the sea, as evidenced by the many trawlers, and visit one of the restaurants in the city to enjoy fish and seafood. A perfect family day out around the discovery of a charming city, which you will remember for a long time.
- Faros: stroll through the streets of this charming historic centre, protected from the waves of tourists visiting the region. Faro is the ideal place to stroll quietly and discover the history of the Algarve. It is impossible not to be absorbed by this charming city, capital of the region. Do not miss the Sé Cathedral in Faro, which is concentrated in a single building and has Gothic, Baroque and Renaissance influences. An emblematic monument of the city radiating charm, a true mosaic of styles.
- Tavira: This small town tinged with a bright yellow is undoubtedly one of the most picturesque places in the region. In fact, Tavira has not only 21 churches, but also a Moorish quarter. Stroll through the cobbled streets of this charming city and enjoy the many terraces of restaurants and cafes in a radiant atmosphere.
- Ria Formosa Natural Park: this marshy park that stretches over 60km is home to incredible biodiversity. The views are truly breathtaking, as the geography here is extraordinary. From this magical place, you can contemplate the fauna and flora of the region through land or sea excursions. Get lost in this labyrinth of islets and let yourself be impressed by the beauty and richness of the place.
- Cabo de San Vicente: this place is perfect for nature lovers because it was declared a nature reserve in 1988. Have fun counting the number of aquatic animals you will see on the way: otters, herons, eagles and much more others. In addition to breathtaking landscapes, you will also find historic buildings such as a lighthouse or the fortress of Sagres, symbol of Portuguese explorations of the 15th century. A must to visit!
- Ponta da Piedade: with its particular rocks, this cliff is one of the most beautiful landscapes of the whole region. The gold of its rocks contrasts with the turquoise colour of the water and the show is even more beautiful at sunset. For an exceptional angle of view, do not hesitate to embark on a boat to admire the views of this wonder of nature. The more athletic can kayak and stand up while enjoying an exceptional environment.
- The course of the 7 suspended valleys: regenerate yourself in an almost wild nature along the path of the "7 suspended valleys". The mixture of green vegetation, deep blue ocean and golden cliffs conquer the hearts of lovers of breathtaking landscapes. Prepare your camera to capture these breathtaking views of a treasure of nature. In fact, in the past, each valley was connected by a water point, but weather and erosion helped shape this incredible landscape.
This is one of the main activities of the region, which attracts many visitors from around the world every year. Here, you will discover marine life like never before, with dolphin shows, small attractions and unique encounters with fascinating animals. Zoomarine promises a visit to the secret world of marine animals, combining science, discovery, fun and outdoor activities. This place is ideal for a day out with the family. You'll find a variety of activities from colourful bird watching to seals and sea lions, which will entertain the elderly and the youngest members of the family. Prepare to live magic moments with your family.
Admission: free for children under 4, €20 for children under 10 years and €29 for adults. You can benefit from discounts by purchasing your tickets online by clicking here.
Renting a luxury villa with Villanovo will make you feel at home, while visiting one of the most luminous regions of Portugal. Villanovo have selected for you the most beautiful houses in the Iberian Peninsula so that you can find your new "home" during a stay in the Algarve. With a swimming pool, jacuzzi or located in a specific place... let us know your needs and we will take care of the rest!