Porto is the capital of Northern Portugal and is known for its excellent wine that is found on many Portuguese tables, to accompany typical dishes. This city with radiant influence has given its name to Portugal in the past, so what better place to discover the authenticity of this country?
You will always find exceptional activities and places to visit a few steps from your luxury villa. Villanovo have created a guide for you, so that you do not miss a single part of the charm of this extraordinary city. You will always find something to keep you entertained near your luxury villa! Ready to discover this destination from every angle? Bem-vindo ao Porto!
The avenue is located in the heart of the city. You will find at the end of this sublime paved avenue the City Hall of Porto, rising in all its splendour.
You will also find the Sao Bento station in the surroundings with its sublime exterior in Azulejo and its hall of steps, very representative of the aesthetics of Portugal. A little anecdote about the construction of this sublime station: when building it, the architect, so absorbed by the advancement of the construction of this amazing monument, forgot to foresee the place for windows!
Do not hesitate to enjoy a pleasant stroll in this main artery of the city, and make some stops in the surrounding parks.
This market was built with the objective of bringing together all the traders of the city. Come and soak up the smells, the colours and the ambiance of this must-see city. Ideal if you want to buy fresh products to prepare a good meal based on fresh fish, vegetables or meat.
- Dating back to the 12th century, the Cathedral of Porto is a true historical treasure, well preserved in the heart of the city and fortified to avoid the attack of invaders. She looks like a pearl in her jewel case. To get there, you will have to wander through the labyrinth of alleys that rise from Praça da Ribeira.
What characterises this unmistakable place is that once inside you will notice that the absence of stained glass makes the inside of the cathedral rather dark, but the walls made of Azulejos give back colour and warmth to this location.
- Ribeira: This charming historic district is inscribed on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage List. So, if you want to enjoy a walk in the history of the city, while admiring the landscapes surrounding the Duero, Ribeira is for you. Immerse yourself in the atmosphere of this lively region, admiring the colours of the houses and strolling along the banks of the Duero River. Although the boats that sail along the river have not been carrying wine for years, it does not detract from the charm of this authentic region. You will have the opportunity to visit many typical cellars of the port. You can also admire the sublime Dom-Luis bridge, true icon of the city, built by the famous Gustave Eiffel.
- On the other hand, the church of Sao Francisco is one of the most beautiful of Porto, so you can not miss it under any circumstances. The peculiarity of this sacred building is that its interior is covered with gold, which does not cease to surprise all the visitors who stop in the enclosure of this place of Baroque style. Keep in mind that this will be the only church for which you will have to pay. It's €3.50, but it's worth it.
- The Palace of the Stock Exchange is one of the most important places of Porto. This Moorish style building will seduce you with its interior pieces and dazzling details. You will discover the commercial power of Portugal of yesteryear. One of the most beautiful pieces of this masterpiece is the Arab Room, which unanimously arouses the enthusiasm of all visitors.
Tickets: €7 adults, €5 students (with student card)
Opening hours: daily from 9:00 to 18:30 in summer and from 9:00 to 12:30 - then 14:00 to 17:30 in winter.
- The Clérigos Tower can be admired from every corner of the city. Built in 1750, this 76-metre-high Italian Baroque building offers breathtaking views of the entire city. To enjoy this place, it will take a lot to walk, but you will not regret it. The entrance fee is €4.
Contemporary Museum of the Serralves Foundation: Rua Dom Joao de Castro 210, Porto 4150-417, Portugal Serralves is a renowned cultural institution in Portugal. Therefore, a visit to the Museum of Modern Art of the House of Serralves seems to be a must, whether with family or friends. With its original collections and large park, you can enjoy a beautiful day full of culture and art. Entry: €10.
Lello Library: Carmelitas Street 144 | Vitória, Porto 4050-161, Portugal The anecdote of this library is that it is the place that inspired J. K. Rowling to invent the famous Harry Potter bookstore. You can consult books about the city or simply be surprised by the decoration of this large space built in 1869.
House of Music: Avenue Boavista 604 610, Porto 4149-071, Portugal The architecture of the place is worth visiting, but music lovers should take the opportunity to attend a concert here. Specialists will tell you that the acoustics of the room are incredible, allowing you to enjoy the show of the national orchestra in the best conditions.
The city is renowned for its gastronomy and wine so it seems impossible to come to Porto without enjoying a visit and wine tasting in one of the many wineries that hide in the city. One of the most famous cellars is that of Vila Nova de Gaia, crossing the Dom Luis Bridge.
You can also enjoy wine tasting in one of the excellent restaurants of the city, so you can also taste the typical gastronomy of Portugal but also of Porto.
Look at this little overview:
Cruise on a Rabelo boat: Senhora do Porto street | Rio Douro, Porto 4250-450, Portugal
For 50 minutes, you can visit the banks of the Duero, cross the city of Porto and pass under the 6 famous bridges, including the Dom Luis Bridge. You will have the feeling of sailing like the merchants of the past in the "Rabelos" where they transported goods and wines. You can also stop to visit some vineyards! Price: between €15-17.
Tram: The use of the tram is widespread in the main cities of Portugal, and although it is less known than the famous tram No. 28 in Lisbon, it is also an activity not to be missed. Line 1 offers a route from Passeio Alegre to Foz do Douro, enough to see an authentic neighbourhood of incredible charm.
Rent a luxury villa with Villanovo: To make the most of your stay, let yourself be seduced by our selection of luxury properties. Together with the owners, we can offer you a tailor-made stay. Feel free to tell us your preferences and we will take care of the rest. With a private pool? A tennis court? You will always find the villa that will make your stay in Porto an unforgettable experience.